After an auto accident, there are steps individuals must take to make sure their rights are protected. If a person does not defend their rights, they can end up missing out on the ability to be able to receive fair compensation. With this information, individuals will better understand what they can do after an auto accident in Towson, MD.
What Steps Should Injured Victims Take?
People often make mistakes just after an auto accident in Towson, MD and these mistakes can be costly. One of the biggest mistakes people make is attempting to pursue the insurance company without legal guidance. Insurance adjusters are notorious for being unfair when injured individuals are not represented by a lawyer. The following are some of the most important steps a person should take after they are involved in an accident.
• It is essential the victim calls the police so an accident report can be filed. Police reports are required when there are serious injuries or damages. Even if the other driver tries to convince a person not to call the police, it is imperative a person calls anyway.
• At the scene of the accident, the injured victim should never admit any level of fault, even if they feel they were to blame for the crash. Anything a person says at the scene could be used against them in court.
• It is wise for an injured victim to make sure they take photos, videos, and notes of all that happened in the accident, along with their injuries. These can often prove helpful in establishing measurable damages.
• An injured victim should never make a statement with the insurance company until they have been advised by a lawyer. Anything said in the statement can end up being used against them so their claim can be denied.
• If the insurance company offers a settlement, the injured victim should make sure they have the offer reviewed by their lawyer before they sign. Once the document is signed, it signs away the victim’s rights to further pursue compensation.
Get Legal Help Today
If you have been injured in a severe auto accident, make sure you call and schedule an appointment. For more information, visit Markeyorsilaw.com.