Tips from a Personal Injury Lawyer in Hawaii

When you are in an automobile accident, it isn’t always complicated. Sometimes, it is a simple case of one insurance company paying off for the accident its insured caused. However, more times than not, the situation becomes a little more complex and it isn’t always clear who is at fault. There are extenuating circumstances surrounding the accident. People end up getting hurt and sustaining injuries as a result of the accident. In such cases, you may have to consult a lawyer experienced in handling the legalities surrounding the accident. A personal injury lawyer in Hawaii has tips if you are injured through no fault of your own, either in an auto accident or another personal injury.

Personal injuries in Hawaii have a statute of limitations of two years, whether that is a business entity, a personal individual or a government agency. This means that you have two years from the date of the incident to file your case in the civil court, otherwise you lose your opportunity to recover any damages from your injury. Hawaii also employs the “comparative fault” rule. If you are found to be at fault for any percentage, the amount of your awarded damages will be reduced by that percentage.

It is also important to remember that Hawaii is a “no-fault” automobile insurance state, meaning that each individual will contact their own insurance company to file a claim. The individual will only be able to step outside of the no-fault rule if the accident ends up being more than $5,000 over the benefits paid, or if there is a serious and permanent injury sustained. The rules can be difficult to interpret as to what is considered permanent, which is when a lawyer is needed.

Yoshida & Associates have been representing the personal injury cases of clients in Hawaii for over three decades. Their legal experience has succeeded in them building effective strategies for their clients to win their cases. Some of the other areas they represent are labor law, pension, and welfare cases. If you need to consult with a personal injury lawyer in Hawaii, they are available. Visit them at their website,