Auto Accident Attorneys in Fort White, FL Can Protect Your Legal Rights

Florida laws are different from other states, as it is considered a no-fault state when it comes to auto accidents. An injured person must file a claim against their own auto insurance for compensation for losses or injuries from the accident regardless of who was at fault of the accident. In limited cases an individual can go outside of the no-fault law and hold the negligent party accountable for the loss. Injuries that involve scarring, disfigurement or permanent injuries can file a personal injury lawsuit against the negligent party. Consulting with auto accident attorneys in Lake City, FL will help an individual determine what type of claim they could possibly file.

There is a statute of limitation on filing a lawsuit if you are eligible: an individual has four years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit in court for serious injuries. All weekends and holidays are also included in the four-year time limit. If the individual who is injured was involved with a government employee or government property, there is a different procedure. An example would be if someone was injured by a bus or a government car, a notice of claim must be filed with the government agency responsible for the accident.

An injured party should speak with auto accident attorneys in Lake City, FL about any type of serious injuries received in an auto accident to protect their legal rights and obtain the compensation they deserve. Florida also has a law called the comparative fault law for cases that go to court in front of a judge or jury. If an individual is partially responsible for an accident, the compensation for the claim will be reduced. If someone is 20% at fault, the negligent driver will only have to pay 80 percent of the claim. If the injured person was found to be 80% at fault for an accident and the other individual was 20% responsible for the accident, an injured party could still receive 20% of a settlement.

The laws in Florida can be very complicated in understanding which law an injured individual may be able to file a claim under. For more assistance with an injury claim, please feel free to visit Northfloridaautoaccidentlawyer.com.

You can also like us on Facebook for frequent news and updates.